Baths are wonderfully healing, and it is easy to make your own homemade, detox baths.
When you sweat, the pores in your skin open, providing a clear path for toxins to get out. As a result, you may experience some detox effects such as flu or cold symptoms the next day. This is normal, so do not fret. Simply drink more liquids, and get through it. You want this to happen – if it doesn’t, it means toxins aren’t being rid of!
Hot water draws toxins out of the body to the skin’s surface, and while the water cools it pulls toxins from the skin. Epsom salts augment this detoxification by causing you to sweat. Other salts—all highly alkaline and cleansing—used in baths include sea salt, baking soda, clay, and Dead Sea salts. Several of the formulas below are Dr. Hazel Parcells’ great work.
*Basic Salt Soak Bath Formula
Minerals and salts make the bath water feel silky and leave your skin cleansed and soft. This marvelous soak relaxes muscles, draws toxins from the body, and contains a natural sedative to help your nervous system relax and unwind. It is also a natural emollient and exfoliant–and it reduces swelling. All this in one simple formula!
- 1 cup sea salts
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1 cup Epsom salts
- 1 to 2 tablespoons glycerin per bath
- 4 to 6 drop of essential oil of your choice
Combine the sea salts, baking soda, and Epsom salts in a bowl. Stir to blend. Pour 1/4 cup or so into the bath while the tub is filling. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons glycerin to keep your skin from drying out (more for dry skin, less for oily skin) and essential oils of choice. ( make enough for 16 baths-store the remainder in a glass jar)
- Saline Bath - Add 3-5 pounds of magnesium sulfate (salt or Epsom salt) to a full tub of water. Temperature – 95-97 F. 10-20 minutes. Used to relax. Cooler water and shorter time is more of a tonic.
- Soda bath – Add 1 pound of baking soda to full tub of water. Temperature – 95-97 F 10-20 minutes. Alkaline. Acts as a mild antiseptic, opens pores, relieves itching and skin irritation. Good for skin conditions such as eczema, hives or insect bites.
- Starch Bath – Add 1 pound of dry corn starch to full tub of water. Temperature – 95-97 F. Acts as a cooling agent relieving skin irritations, itchiness from such conditions as poison ivy, poison oak, eczema and prickly heat.
- Epsom salt Bath – Add 1 cup to 1 pound of Epsom salt to full tub of water (30 gallons). Temperature- as hot as can be tolerated for 10-20 minutes. Increases perspiration, relieves muscular fatigue, aches and pains. Used to relieve pain of arthritis, sciatica. Also used to deter cold, flu, or other infection. Contraindicated for patients in weakened conditions such as heart trouble, arteriosclerosis, diabetes. Sip on a glass of warm water water mixed with 1/2tsp of salt.
- Detox Bath - 1-2 cups each of Epsom salt, sea salt, baking soda. Temperature – as hot as can be tolerated for 20-30 minutes. Used to detoxify body after deep tissue work. Used to neutralize or detox radiation exposure during air travel, dental exams, mammograms……Sip on a glass of warm water water mixed with 1/2tsp of salt and 1/2tsp of baking soda.
- Sulfur Bath - Add 1-2 ounces of potassium sulfate to a full tub of water. Temperature – 95-102 F 10-20 minutes. Can be relaxing or refreshing; increases perspiration, relieves breathing problems in asthma or bronchitis.
- Oatmeal Bath – 1-2 cups finely ground oatmeal to a full tub of water . Temperature – 95-97 F 15- 30 minutes. Used to relieve skin irritations, relieves sunburn, chafing and windburn. (Maybe contraindicated if a wheat or gluten sensitivity or allergy
- Apple cider vinegar Bath – Use organic, raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized with “mother” in bottle from health food store. I generally suggest Bragg’s Apple Cider vinegar. 1-4 cups added to full bath. Effective in detoxifying the body and treating vaginal yeast infections. Sip on a glass of warm water with 1TBS of organic apple cider vinegar.
- Ginger Bath- Use 1/8 cup of fresh ginger, grated or chopped. Mix with 1 cup or Epsom salt, and pour this mixture into a full tub of water as hot as you can stand. A ginger detox bath helps removes toxins out through your skin through sweating.
- Clorox Bath- Pour 1 cup of Clorox bleach into hottest temperature you can tolerate. Get out of the tub when the water is cool. This bath helps detox from metal poisoning from cookware, dental amalgams, antacid, pesticide exposure and inhaled carbon monoxide.
- Baking Soda Bath- Add 2 pounds of baking soda into the hottest tub of water tolerated. Get out of the bath until the water is cool. This bath helps detox from food born bacteria, including E. coli and Salmonella.
1. Using a vegetable brush, brush your skin, ensuring you brush it towards the heart.
2. Fill the bathtub with suggested water temperature and add the salts or formula as recommended for each bath.
4. Get into the bathtub and stay in for the recommended amount of time BUT no more than that.
5. You will be sweating a lot after just 15 minutes, this is what you want! Rub your entire body clockwise, while remaining soaked in the hot water. Rub your stomach, breast, etc. Have some bottle water near you, so you will have something to drink in case you get thirsty!
6. Get out of the water after the recommended time and rub your body vigorously with a towel. Do so until you turn extremely red. Wrap yourself up into a towel, and get into bed, covering your body with a blanket or covers. You will find yourself sweating for a hour or so. Try to fall asleep. While you’re asleep, your body will be eliminating toxins through your skin.
Reminders: Do not apply any lotions/creams or powders into your skin prior to heading to bead.
Do not take more than 1 bath a day and do not mix baths!