on May 19, 2010
I received this from a reader that I have been coaching on getting back control of her life. Taking back control of your life ultimately starts at the table. I get the question a lot… “When I can I eat this again ??? or When can I have that????……………..
“Can I revise my goals? Instead of no dessert – what about special occasions – like birthdays? We are talking I would eat dessert EVERY DAY for one reason or another. Go to McD’s for an ice cream cone. So to abbreviate it to just special occasions would work. I’m committed to making changes in my eating habits, but now I’m starting to really feel like I am on a diet.”
Diet is NOT a bad word but it has been misused to be a negative word…. it simple means what you eat.
Main Entry: 1di·et
Etymology: Middle English diete, from Anglo-French, from Latindiaeta, from Greek diaita, literally, manner of living, from diaitasthai to lead one’s life
Date: 13th century 1 a : food and drink regularly provided or consumed b : habitual nourishment c : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason
TOUGH LOVE AND REASONING TIME!!!
I have a few questions for you. Remember we are trying to create new habits not finding excused to keep the old ones in our present and future.
- Why do you want the desert?
- Are your craving it?
- Do you deserve it?
- Does the special event become less of an event if you do not have the desert or is it a More special time if you do partake in the desert?
- Why are you conditioned to wanting a desert?
- Does a desert make you feel better about life? worse about life?
- What problems does a desert solve?
- What nutritional value does a desert have? NON so why do your want to fill your body with bad “non-food” items?
ROLLS OF FOOD:
- Food villain- the person that pushed more servings, more desert , more fattening food on you usually because they are having trouble controlling their food intake. They are out of control with the food they eating, their weight and do not want to eat alone or be alone in their misery?
- Food victim- the person that has an excuse for every health issues; obesity, blood sugar problems, high cholesterol, can’t exercise due to weight…… they have a excuse for everything wrong with them and blame their job, stress, family genetics…….They are a victim by their own choices and don’t want to have to pay the price. They want to have the party, eat the cake and pasta and not pay any consequence for their over consumption.
- Food Hero- the person that rescues their body from the high fat, high sugar, non food items and puts in good quality, life sustaining and nutritional foods. Shows other how to rescue themselves from their won food villain and food victims. They take responsibility for the food/fuel they are putting in their bodies.
WHO DO YOU WANT TO BE????? Of course you want to be the HERO! DOESN’T EVERYONE???????
“Dr Heather, when can I have desert or be allowed to overindulge?”
YES! TO DESERT WHEN YOU ARE AT YOUR IDEAL, HEALTHY WEIGHT:)
There are 12 major holidays and special events a year. On these 12 days, live it up, eat what you want in moderation and without regrets! BUT Thanksgiving does not last until Valentine’s Day. Twelve holiday is just that 12 days
BUT………. IF YOU ARE NOT AT YOUR IDEAL, HEALTHY WEIGHT…… ASK YOURSELF, “HOW DID I GET HERE? IN THIS STATE OF FATIGUES AND OVERWEIGH???” TOO MANY DESERTS????? TOO MANY BREADSTICKS AND SODAS???????? IF YOU ANSWERED YES THEN I SAY TO YOU……”YOU ALREADY HAD YOUR PARTY SOOOOOO THE PARTY IS OVER UNTIL YOU ARE AT YOUR IDEAL, HEALTHY WEIGHT. GET CONTROL OF YOUR TABLE, YOUR PLATE AND YOU FORK!”
- AN OVER WEIGHT PERSON IS USUALLY A CARBO JUNKY… DESERT, ICE CREAM, SODA, POTATOES, BREAD….
- IT TAKES 28 DAYS TO MAKE A HABIT AND 28 DAYS TO BREAK A HABIT. EVERYONE IS A GREAT STARTED BUT MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT FANTASTIC FINISHERS. If you have started this journey, DO NOT let a desert stop you from completing your mission.
- IT ONLY TAKES 3 TO 5 MINUTES TO EAT A DESERT AND ABOUT AN HOUR ON THE TREADMILL. (an 1 hr of walking to but burn what 3 to 4 minutes that it took you to eat it)
- CONTINUE TO MAKE GOOD CHOICES AND IT WILL PAY OFF MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE.
I am sure that this sounds harsh but I want you to be successful on your mission to regain our state of good health. I have seen too many people fail because they WANT something that they know they should not have. When our children want something that we know they should not have, we simple tell them “NO”. If you cannot head that inner voice inside your head telling you NO then…..Now I am telling you NO. There is ABSOLUTELY NOT ONE GOOD reason to have a desert or the extra serving of this or that Look at your own current state of health, your past health history along with your family history . Do you like what you see? Are you proud of your state of health? You must work hard to maintain a state of health that you desire. A state of health that provides you with an overabundance of energy and feeling of joy and happiness inside.
Look at the people around you. WHO is healthy???? I bet less that 50%. Be better than average, be EXTRAORDINARY and lead these people, your family and friends, on this journey with you. I am sure that they want the same journey so help then and at the same time you help yourself!!
on May 13, 2010
None , after the age of 2 or 3. This is not really surprising when we remember that Humans are the only mammals on earth to continue to drink milk after weaning at ~2 years of age.
The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America’s leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow’s milk to children, saying it can cause anemia, allergies, and insulin-dependent diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease, America’s number one cause of death.
People of developed Western nations consume vast quantities of milk in products like yogart, cheese and ice cream and in processed foods.
Dairy products are a health hazard. They contain no fiber or complex carbohydrates and are laden with saturated fat and cholesterol. They are contaminated with cow’s blood and pus and are frequently contaminated with pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics. Dairy products are linked to allergies, constipation, obesity, heart disease, cancer, and other diseases.
Lactose Intolerance is a person’s inability to digest Lactose, the sugar found in milk, which is broken down by an enzyme called lactase. In all mammals including Humans the production of lactase stops after weaning. There are some humans – generally of Northern European descent who continue to produce lactase after weaning. This minority is known as ‘lactase persistent’.
Why you might ask, because all of the billboards and commercial tell me to drink milk.
When do we drink milk in our lives? We have no teeth and a very immature digestive track so mother milks is what our creator intended for us to drink That is right, when we are babies. And as we develop teeth we move to soft food then solid foods as we get more teeth and our digestive tracks develop. You would not give a baby a streak and you should not be drinking milk if you are 20 years old. So, why do we continue to drink milk.
This is what we do know about milk.
The American Dairy Association definitely has a large profit margin and a vested interest in making you believe that dairy is good for everyone.
- Did you know that we are the ONLY country that drinks milk for another species after the age of about 7.
- Our cow’s milk is laced with hormones. Milk is produce in any animal via a hormone system . SO, when it says that it is “hormone free” just means that they did not feed the cow any “Extra” hormones to increase the cow’s milk production.
- The number one plastic surgery in teen age boys is female pattern breast reduction. Why are so many of our teenage boys developing breast tissue? Could it be from the hormones in the dairy and other foods???
- Up to 75% of American are lactose intolerant. We never out grow it but our bodies manifest the intolerance in other way, constipation, ear infections, asthma, acne, eczema, depression, IBS, …
- More that 1 serving a day of dairy increases your rink of cancer by 44%,( breast, ovarian, stomach cancer)
- Dairy is one of 6 foods that cause 95% of all food allergies.
- Dairy have been linked to several GI diseases, UC, IBS, Autism, kidney…..
- The Asian population has a very high incidence of dairy intolerance , therefore they avoid it in their diets. The Asian population also has a very LOW incidence of cancers. Any correlation?????
Why are you drinking the milk and forcing your kids to drink it? Because of the calcium content?? When most people think of foods high in calcium, they usually think of milk, yogurt and cheese – all the dairy products. However, many of you many not know what other calcium rich foods that are not dairy based. Some of these products naturally have calcium and other are fortified products. With an estimated 90% of asian-American, 75% African Americans and as close to 100% Native American being lactose intolerant, getting enough calcium is a concern. These are SOOO many food that contain more bioavailabile calcium in a serving that milk: almonds, spinach, kale, broccoli, parsley, beef, cold water fish, millet, brown rice, oranges, salmon, shrimp, black ,navy and white beans…. just to name a few.
I could write everyday about the “Cons” of drinking milk. I could put a link to almost every word that I wrote in this article. But, please do your own investigation and see what makes sense to you. Are you drinking milk because the advertised tell you to???
You can go surf around on www.notmilk.com or www.milksucks.com
on May 9, 2010
Dr. Heather: When I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2000. I really felt I needed to talk to someone who would make me think and not just give me a medication and say you would be fine. I choose you, Dr. Heather and you have made me think alot about food, medications and stress. I thank you, for all of your help and think of you often even when I start to cross my legs. Ladies, if you don’t do everything Dr. Heather suggests you will do some and think of her when you are making choices right or wrong. Sincerely, RB
If you are a living, breathing female you are at risks.
Here are some very real stats that you need to know!
- Cancer will affect 1 out of every 3 women alive today!
- Over 1, 250,000 new cases of invasive cancers will new diagnoses.
- 50% of those diagnoses from cancer will die of the disease, more than 500,000
- Cancer causes 1 in 5 of all deaths.
- 48% occurrence under the age of 40
- 72% are non familiar related
- The older you get the greater your chances
WHAT ARE YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING CANCER????
I know by now that we have all known a close friends or family member who had been diagnosed and treated for cancer. We have watched helplessly as this disease has robbed the physical body, mind and spirit of someone close to us who at one time has do much life. No one want to have cancer. Is the lifestyle you are living now significantly reduce your risk of getting this disease?Or, are you living a life that is creating an opportunity for cancer to grow in your body?
- Are eating healthy or diet of fast food , eating on the go full of trans fats and sugars?
- Are you exercising regularly or a couch potato?
- Do you have a kind heart and a positive attitude or are you angry and blaming everyone for your failures?
- Do you find gratification and joy in your daily job or dread going to work everyday?
- Do you have a string immune system of do you get every cold and flue that come around.
CHANGE YOUR LIFE, STOP THE BIRTH CONTROL BEFORE CANCER STOPS IT FOR YOU! I am not a fan of birth control or ANYTHING that increases your risks!
- If you are taking BC for menstrual irregularities then you are just masking the symptoms. The hormone imbalances that caused you to seek out the birth control remains and the B.C. is possible potentiating a greater imbalance in hormone.
- The Pill tells you body not to ovulate….. isn’t this what the female body is designed to do. Prematurely stopping this process causes a further hormone imbalance. Cessation of ovulation is an early sign of menopause. Menopause is a sign of aging. Why would you want to prematurely start the aging process??
- Vaginal ring: you are putting hormones , no matter how low of doses, directly on your cervix. How many women do you know that have had a abnormal PAP????
- Depo: No menstrual cycle at all??? imagine what that is doing to your entire hormone system. Don’t forget the master switch for our hormone/endocrine system is in the BRAIN! Why would you want to cause any imbalance in the brain. The average women gains 20 lbs within the first 24 months of using the DEPO. No menstrual cycle= menopause=aging!
HOW TO LOWER YOUR RISKS BY PRACTICING HEALTHY HABITS:
- Consume less that 1 serving of dairy a day, <1 serving per day increases your risk 44%
- Consume 3 or more serving of cold water fish a week, eating no fish increases your risk 2 to 3 fold
- Consume more that 7 veggies a day (corn is a grain, peas and beans are legumes, not veggies) Protect against all types of cancers.
- Drink water. consuming >2.5L per day decease bladder cancer by 40%
- Consume no refined sugars.
- Lose excess weight. Obesity can increase your risk 50-60%
- Consume no trans fats, eating saturated fats increase your risk of breast cancer by 20%
- Consume no artificial sweeteners, additives (MSG…) or colorings
- Consume no more that 1 serving of red meat a week. Eating beef 4X week can double your risk of stomach cancer.
- Consume no more than 2 servings of alcohol a week.
- STOP smoking
- Get moving! Regular exercise of >5 times per week can reduce your risk by 40-50%
- 3 servings of Green tea a day will decrease your risk by 50%
STRESS IS A LEADING CAUSE OF IMBALANCES IN OUR IMMUNE SYSTEM.
- Decrease stress in your life
- Have positive relationships
- Have a positive attitude on life
- Declutter and detoxify your home
- Have a job that you like and enjoy going to everyday
- Find a hobby and commit to actively (reading, gardening, pottery, sewing, playing a musical instrument……)
Your goal should be to provide a clear path to changing the environment within your body so that it will not support the growth of cancer.
Your campaign to prevent cancer requires a lifetime commitment, beginning HERE, NOW, TODAY!
Cancer really can be prevented, even if it runs in your family. Start you war against cancer by reducing and eliminating as many risk factors as you possibly can by practicing healthy habits that strengthen your body’s defense. You’ll greatly reduce your chances of developing cancer thru developing good diet, the right kids of exercise and a positive attitude. You will not only live longer, you’ll live better.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”