I am SOOO stressed out this time if year with the holiday here. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my normal day to day demands. And now with all of the extra activities of family get together, kids activities, parties, programs, extra shopping and cooking…………. Is there ANYTHING I can TAKE or DO to help my stress level?
Dear Sooo Stressed,
We certainly live in a stressfull time and the holiday can certainly add additional stress. Yes, there are things you can do to help reduce your stress this time of year. Here are a few of my personal tips.
- Enjoy this time. It is a great time to rejoice, be thankful and reconnect with friends and families. Remember it when you were a child and how exciting and fun this time is.
- Get organized, sit down and map and plan out your week. Don’t wait till the last minute to prepare for a holiday event, to make treats or buy that last minute gift item.
- Get Sleep! Nightly sleep is critical for proper function of: the brain, immune system, endocrine system, digestion, as well as for energy, recovery from injury, and restoration of health. Sleep gives us the energy, the will, and the foundation to accomplish these changes. While a person sleeps, the body rejuvenates. Cells are repaired and the immune system is strengthened and mental functions are sharpened.
- Eat! don’t skip meals or binge on your holiday favorites just because they look good. Food is fuel for our bodies! Eating a proper, well balanced meal will give you energy to handle the extra day to day stresses of this time of year.
- Feed the body, the adrenals and the immune system. Take extra vitamins and mineral supplements that help feed your body the nutrients that are being used and drained in times of stress!
- Exercise- Exercise increases your overall health and your sense of well-being, which puts more pep in your step every day. But exercise also has some direct stress-busting benefits, it increase your bodies own endorphins and improves your mood.
- Balance your nervous system. In a vicious circle of stress, muscular tightness and pain can be relieved by chiropractic treatment and acupuncture.
There will always be stress. We can learn how to reduce the physical efforts of stress and become stronger, healthier and happier in the process.
In Good Health,